World famous climber and adventurer, at the cutting edge of extreme sports.
Since the age of 10 Leo Houlding has been on an adrenaline-fuelled adventure to push himself and his sport to the limits, and has staggered the world with his exploits.
Leo has climbed some of the hardest routes in the world, and pioneered para-alpinism – climbing up a route and then BASE jumping from the top.
Here are just a few of Leo’s achievements:
• In 2012 Leo achieved a first ascent of the east face of Cerro Autana (1400m), one of the Amazon’s most remote and sacred mountains.
• In 2010 Leo successfully completed his long-term project by making the first ascent of The Prophet on El Capitan, Yosemite.
• In 2009 he climbed Mount Asgard on Baffin Island. The team climbed the North West Face, which is in the shade 23 hours a day, battling ice storms, severe frosts and rock falls
• Climbed the sacred Mount Huashan in China – the first person to do so.
• Made an alpine-style ascent of Fitzroy’s 1,400m North Pillar in Patagonia, which included a 17-hour abseil (this horrendous experience was the start of Leo’s interest in para-alpinism)
• Along with friend Patch Hammond, became the first Briton to free climb El Nino on El Capitan, USA, which he did virtually onsight
• Completed the first free ascent of Fitzroys Casarotto Pillar in alpine style, caught in a vicious storm the ascent and descent took 56 hours non stop
• With Sean Leary made the first team free ascent of El Capitan and Half Dome in one day. More than a mile of hard climbing that takes most teams more than a week!
• Summitted Everest whilst filming The Wildest Dream. A movie depicting the last climb of George Mallory and Sandy Irvine who famously disappeared close to the summit in 1924. In movies theatres worldwide August 2010.
• Became British Indoor Bouldering Champion in 1996 and 1998.
These are just a taster of Leo’s accomplishments; he’s also had his own TV show and famously raced Jeremy Clarkson up the Verdon Gorge for BBC’s Top Gear programme – Jeremy drove and Leo climbed. Leo won.
Find out more about what Leo has been up to in his blog.
Gear & Reviews
Argentium Base Layers
Argentium is the latest innovation in next to the skin technology which is built to perform no matter what the activity is.
View base layers
Where Are We Going?
Whether you're planning your next big adventure, or looking for some inspirational country walks, the Berghaus Blog has it covered.
Read our blog
The gear that keeps you alive. The dress code for the most inhospitable places on earth. Performance at the highest level. This is EXTREM.
View EXTREM gear
Berghaus on Facebook
Join us on Facebook to be the first to hear about exclusive downloads, competitions, gear reviews, new products, and more.
Become a fan