Named the "mountaineer’s mountaineer" for innovative and inspirational first ascents.
With a reputation as an innovative and inspirational climber Mick has many achievements under his belt including:
- • In 2011 Mick succeeded in making the first ascent of Gojung (6310m) – also known as Mugu Chuli – in the Himalaya.
- • In 2010 Mick achieved the first ascent of the north face of Sulamar, China.
- • His ascent of Linden (E6) in 1976 at Curbar Edge in Derbyshire
- • Winning the prestigious Piolet d’Or (France) and Golden Piton (USA) awards (for the ‘best’ mountaineering achievement of the year) for his route on Siguniang with Paul Ramsden
- • Being voted the “Mountaineers’ Mountaineer” by UK national newspaper The Observer
- • The first free ascent and first one day ascent of the highest vertical cliff in Britain
- • Writing two books, both of which were nominated for the Boardman-Tasker award
- • The rather more obscure (but no less impressive) ascent of a 65ft ice streak created by a leaking toilet outflow at St. Pancras station in the heart of London.
All of Mick’s impressive achievements have been done while working full-time and supporting his family.
Read our in depth Q&A to find out more about how Mick and how he juggles his hectic lifestyle.
Gear & Reviews
Argentium Base Layers
Argentium is the latest innovation in next to the skin technology which is built to perform no matter what the activity is.
View base layers
Where Are We Going?
Whether you're planning your next big adventure, or looking for some inspirational country walks, the Berghaus Blog has it covered.
Read our blog
The gear that keeps you alive. The dress code for the most inhospitable places on earth. Performance at the highest level. This is EXTREM.
View EXTREM gear
Berghaus on Facebook
Join us on Facebook to be the first to hear about exclusive downloads, competitions, gear reviews, new products, and more.
Become a fan